lint

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

landscapes

rowing around on a dark lake with piney edges and dark, ragged, sudden dropoffs-- I am a passenger, two other women at the oars, and they drive the boat into a black cave-- I want them to stop, but they go further into the blackness-- we can hear others up ahead in the darkness, which makes it "okay", but I am not okay-- especially when the air fills with bats or even smaller whirring things all around my head-- I am panicking-- and finally we go back out.

I'm flyinging high above the landscape with a plane-- but somehow I've ended up on the outside, clinging to pillowy soft pieces on the side, watching lakes and trees pass beneath, wondering if there's any way I might survive a fall-- I keep slipping into a drowse and literally slipping, and I have to catch myself and pull back up-- but then the copilot notices me clinging there and climbs out and helps me back inside the craft.

there's a big fight between college students at the edge of a precipice, a rough chasm dropping a mile down into a glittering lake that looks modest from the height but I know is enormous and deep-- they're battling with long poles over some point of honor, and they fall over the edge in droves and fall forever, still engaged in conflict, a whole crowd of youth and potential falling so far, plummeting and disappearing without a sound into the water beneath, the lake's gleaming surface folding cleanly over all the signs of struggle. someone erects a plaque.

there's a woman living out in the desert, burrowed into a sandy hillside-- the white earth walls are full of the tunnels and activity of small creatures, but she's unbothered by it-- they keep to themselves, she goes about her business-- until some hooligans show up, a black-clad gang of them, drawn to the place-- they're spirits reanimated or reshaped into borrowed bodies by some dark force. one of them, a young woman, comes back to her after they leave to show her, tell her. the last shot is of the woman gazing out her round embedded window into the view-- someone sees her from far, far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home